Remote Desktop Protocol

• Is it possible to connect to the vServer of netcup with windows 2019 from Remote Desktop app? Below are the steps I used.

PS:The vServer had Debian when it was setup and I changed it to windows

1. Hostname or IP. Address : I entered the IP giving to me by the netcup

2. Username : root

3. Password : My root password

Error Message:

We couldn’t connect to the remote PC. Make sure the PC is turned on and connected to network and , that remote access is enabled. Error Code : 0*204

PS: The vServer is turned on. I am able to access in the screen open SCP. Kindly assist

• I think you have to use the account data that you entered when you installed Windows.

That would probably be the administrator user and password.

The Debian user root and the password from the email is only valid for the pre-installed Debian.

If you are able to connect to the server via the SCP, you have also used account data to log in to the Serveer desktop. You should then be able to use the same access in the remote desktop.

Is Remote Desktop perhaps still deactivated?

• The Remote Desktop is activated. Just login again in SCP. I used the login data in window but received the same error.

By the way , I using Microsoft Remote Desktop on iPad.

• Perhaps the "Network Level Authentication" in the RDP setting are activated. Can you connect from a windows client to the windows server?
    And I think only the IP will work, not the hostname.

By the way, please don't run the old windows 2019 server, with all open ports directly in the internet.

In this case the best way is to use a second vServer as firewall and connect your windows server with a vlan with the firewall and deactivate the "internet network interface" in windows.
    In the firewall close all ports and use a vpn connection to connect from your iPad to the firewall, and the firewall will route your RDP session to the windows server, like ZeroTier.

• How did you install the Windows Server? In the Windows setup process, you should have set up an admin user . You will need to use this user, not the one Netcup gave you probably with the default Linux installation.

Have you added the user to the Remote Desktop User group? in Computer Management? And incoming RDP must be allowed in the firewall.

If anything: DO NOT USE the "Administrator" account!!! Add a user in Computer Management, add it to the Administrators group, then log in as that user and deactivate the "Administrator". Your server will be attacked permanently on the RDP port (if not behind a firewall) and those attacks will all try to use "Administrator".

It indeed would be best, if the RDP port would not be open to the internet, but only to VPN interfaces like Zerotier or Tailscale.

RS Ostern L OST22 (~RS "3000" G9.5) (8C,24GB,960GB) | RS Cyber Quack (1C,2GB,40GB)