New to linux...

• Hello!

I am new to linux so I have no idea how this works.
    I've got all my files that should be on the VPS locally stored, how can I upload them to the vps?

Kind regards,
    Rens

• Are you sure, you would like to use a Server directly connected to the Internet? Please take into account: The server will be attacked, and hacked, if you have not configured firewalls and taken security measures.

I've got all my files that should be on the VPS locally stored, how can I upload them to the vps?

These files include the Base operating system, applications and all configurations? Or is it a website? Or do you need a file server? In any case, you have to take care, the server provides the functionality you need. Usually in that case it is clear, how to transmit data: SSH, FTP, HTTP, ... it depends on the available services.

• Hey, thanks for your response.

The files are a FiveM server, GTA5 Roleplay. Everything is setup, but I do not have extra firewall, ddos protection or anything related. Hence the server at netcup as it comes with ddos protection.
    I will have to upload all the base files through FTP I guess, but since I am new to this control panel and linux, I have no idea how.
    Thanks in advance

Edit >> When possible I would even use windows instead of linux

• Especially game servers are often attacked, mainly with DDoS.

Of course you can also use windows instead of linux, but this is not recommended. Apart from the fact that a Windows server costs quite a bit in licensing costs, the OS change does not release you from securing the server.

If you really want to run your own server, you have to learn how to protect and monitor it reliably, otherwise the fun of your FiveM won't last long...

[RS] 2000 G9 | Cyber Quack

[VPS] 2000 ARM G11 | 1000 G9 | 200 G8 | Secret | A | mikro G11s | 4x nano G11s
    [WH] 8000 SE | 4000 SE | 2000 SE

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Bud ()

Gefällt mir 2
  • The files are a FiveM server, GTA5 Roleplay

I think, you should rent a dedicated FiveM Server. There are several hosters providing this.

Anyway, there is a Linux installation guideline. So it should be easy. If you are not able to follow the instructions, then it is assured, that you should not host an own server.

Everything is setup, but I do not have extra firewall, ddos protection or anything related.

That is a real disaster. Your server will be hacked within minutes. On the public addresses from netcup, there is around one attack per second.

Hence the server at netcup as it comes with ddos protection.

No, there is no DDOS protection. Netcup servers are not protected at all. It is completely up to the admin to protect the server.

Edit >> When possible I would even use windows instead of linux

No, you don't. Windows is much harder to secure than Linux. Way harder! It is usual at Netcup to configure a Linux Firewall in front of a Windows Server in order to secure the Windows Server.

• Hence the server at netcup as it comes with ddos protection.

I think netcup is protecting his network and his infrastructure. But not every single server. And even this is a problem, sometimes.
    If you want less problems, check wich ports are open and switch them to a mostly unknown Number. Behind a Firewall.

I'm not that much a Linuxuser like everyone else here. So I think the first sentences from frank_m are the best and cheapest.

• You have your own server, so you can use everything you install on the server.

But of course, you need to be able to secure everything you install there properly.

On a Linux system you normally have SSH installed. SSH can upload files just fine with SFTP. So you don‘t need to install an ftp server program - and you shouldn‘t. Because every new program you install can be hacked.

But uploading files will not be your main problem. Installing, securing and updating the game server program will be.

Using a pre-configured server as the others suggested will be the best course of action until you really know how to install and secure a linux server. Otherwise there will probably a lot of pain for you along the way.

• Did you read the f*** manual? https://docs.fivem.net/docs/se…p-a-server-vanilla/#linux