rDNS seems not to be applied or propagated

• Hi,

I own a VPS 200 G8 instance for a couple years, but I found out recently that I can change the rDNS address from SCP/Network/IPv4/rDNS and that it defaults to v2202...(lots of numbers)...0123.nicesrv.de.

I changed it last Friday to another shorter and easier-to-remember name, like ashorterone.nicesrv.de (this is not the same rDNS name I registered because I don't need to tell it publicly, but indeed I made sure that it was not in use).

After 5 days, I see that the new address is still not pointing to my server and in fact, that the old one (v2202...(lots of digits)...0218.nicesrv.de) is still pointing to the IP address of my VPS as always, despite of having read that DNS propagation is usually completed within 24-48 hours after requesting it.

But, fun fact is that, if I perform a: dig -x 94.x.x.x @root-dns.netcup.net from any remote machine, it gives me the following output:

(I masked some sensitive info with capital X for security reasons. That means that aXXXX.nicesrv.de matches the new rDNS address I wanted for my VPS server and 94.X.X.X is the IPv4 address for idem).

Did I miss something or should I wait longer? Or maybe changing to a custom rDNS is not part of my contracted plan?

Thank you.

• Zur hilfreichsten Antwort springen
  • Try deleting the custom zone, wait 5 minutes and then try again. Worked for me.

It's rDNS not normal DNS - you can't delete a zone in rDNS.

Did I miss something or should I wait longer? Or maybe changing to a custom rDNS is not part of my contracted plan?

Actually it is part of your contract. You can try to change it again... - and also contact the support.

48hrs is way to long for a rDNS change.

• Try deleting the custom zone, wait 5 minutes and then try again. Worked for me.

Where can I perform the custom zone deletion? Sorry, I'm not familiar to that concept.

Zitat

Actually it is part of your contract. You can try to change it again... - and also contact the support.

48hrs is way to long for a rDNS change.

I'll try that later then. Thanks

• Hilfreichste Antwort

After 5 days, I see that the new address is still not pointing to my server and in fact, that the old one (v2202...(lots of digits)...0218.nicesrv.de) is still pointing to the IP address of my VPS as always, despite of having read that DNS propagation is usually completed within 24-48 hours after requesting it.

I think you got something wrong here. rDNS is not for pointing a hostname to an ip address. It’s for pointing an ip address to a hostname.

RS Brezn | VPS 500 G8 Plus | 2× VPS Karneval 2020 | VPS Pocket Admin | RS Cyber Quack | Webhosting EiWoMiSau

Dieses Gebäude hat mir die Vorfahrt genommen! *hup*

Gefällt mir 5
  • I think you got something wrong here. rDNS is not for pointing a hostname to an ip address. It’s for pointing an ip address to a hostname.

Oh... alright, so I guess I'll need to order a domain if I want to have a shorter address? I wouldn't mind to have a subdomain, since the server won't be actually public and just will be used privately by a few users. That's why I thought the rDNS feature would meet my needs.

• ARE

Hat einen Beitrag als hilfreichste Antwort ausgewählt.