Beiträge von neonn

I want to thank everyone from netcup team who helped with resolving the issue and answered my questions. And also @whoami0501 for participating in the discussion and letting me know that it really might be an issue and not normal behaviour :). CPU steal is gone. Big thanks!

I can't see the the image, page not found :-\ . Anyway, good to know that I just have a bad luck and it's not Netcup-wide issue :).

I did the test 10+ times during last 2-3 weeks and different times, it's almost always 50%+. The test itself went down from 150 req/s on 2-core root server to 60-70 req/s on VPS. And I already asked support about this issue. Otherwise I wouldn't reply to this thread as a warning for others, that CPU steal might be an issue on VPS instances.

Zitat

And I have additional question since I'm already contacting you. The VPS is 99% of the time idling, but when I try to test performance of my app running on the VPS, I often get more than 50% CPU steal (and less than half the "requests per second" than I got on root server with 2 cores) Is this normal? I know the CPU isn't dedicated on VPS, but it looks like host machine hits 100% load all the time...

... and got this response...

Zitat

VPS are provided by us, as well as by our competitors, with shared CPU resources. This means that you share the CPU cores you have booked with other customers. Depending on what other customers do on the node you are using, there may be fluctuations in the available CPU resources. We advertise this very clearly on our website. VPS are optimized in price.

Here's a current screenshot from "top" showing 60% steal: https://snipboard.io/uTpWCX.jpg

Zitat

Well, thats the reason, why VPS are cheaper then Root Server.

As I mentioned, I expected worse performance then with root server. But I did not expect to get CPU-bound performance degraded by 60% in my tests by switching from root server to VPS. That's all.

Zitat

As a customer you have to know, how many ressources you need and then you have to decide which product is the correct one for you.

Yeah, I totally agree and that's exactly what I meant by "price / performance" ratio in my use case. This thread is about CPU steal and that's why I replied. If someone cares about CPU steal, then the person probably cares about CPU performance and that's why I mentioned that CPU steal (and CPU performance) is really terrible on regular VPS.

Just a note here about regular VPS, which does not have "dedicated" cores. I would expect some CPU-steal there, eg. 10-20%, because it's advertised as shared. My VPS is 99% of the time idle, but when I try to benchmark my app which is in development right now, I almost constantly get 50-55% steal.

Yesteday I was contacting support about another issue (VPS was suddenly killed and it didn't start automatically) and asked about the IMO too high steal even for shared service. I was told it's fine...

This means Root server probably has better price / performance ratio, because there shouldn't be (almost) any CPU-steal.