Should I get HDD (SAS) or SSD for site, forums and possibly gaming servers?

• I currently have a RS 4000 G8SE with 140GB SSD.

My question if I should switch from SSD to SAS and I'd like to know some people who have experience in this department.

I currently use the server for multiple forums and websites, IRC bouncer, Discord bots. What do you guys use from SSD and for SAS? And why? Should I switch to SAS instead?

Only reason why I'm considering it because with SAS I'd be almost getting 1TB, rather than 140GB SSD.

Regards,

Skyrider

• Only reason why I'm considering it because with SAS I'd be almost getting 1TB, rather than 140GB SSD.

Hmm - in this position you should wait for the G9 RS, which will come in the next weeks or months. Just my suggestion, because the G9 RS will probably have much more ssd storage as the G8 RS. ;)

"Denn der radikalste Zweifel ist der Vater der Erkenntnis."

-Max Weber

• G9 RS? I can't find any information regarding that. And will it be at the same costs as the current RS 4000 G8?

They're not released yet. We don't know the specifications or prices, but I won't expect better prices:

Da die Preise auf dem Markt für Hardware aufgrund von Corona stark steigen, werden die Root-Server etwas mehr kosten als die aktuelle Generation. Bitte habt hier keine falschen Erwartungen. Es lohnt sich nach wie vor G8SE bei den Root-Servern zu kaufen, wenn nicht große SSDs gewünscht werden.

"Wer nur noch Enten sieht, hat die Kontrolle über seine Server verloren." (Netzentenfund)

• Only reason why I'm considering it because with SAS I'd be almost getting 1TB, rather than 140GB SSD.

It just depends on your needs. If you don't need 1TB of storage I would always choose SSD. Mainly because the system feels way more responsive and faster IMO.

In case you actually need the storage, sure, switch to SAS. I guess your sites aren't big enough that some databases absolutely have to sit on an SSD.

• It just depends on your needs. If you don't need 1TB of storage I would always choose SSD. Mainly because the system feels way more responsive and faster IMO.

In case you actually need the storage, sure, switch to SAS. I guess your sites aren't big enough that some databases absolutely have to sit on an SSD.

What do you define as not big enough? 10+GB or below?, I currently do have space left. But I feel it's always nice to have more.

• What do you define as not big enough? 10+GB or below?, I currently do have space left. But I feel it's always nice to have more.

I meant it as in number of visitors. If you have hundreds of thousand of visitors a day, a database on SAS might struggle respectively it takes longer to serve the content. At the same time it's all user specific, so I can't generalise it too much.

What kind of gameservers are you running? For example Minecraft can really profit from SSDs, as far as I know, since the world and corresponding file expand quite fast when multiple people are exploring.

• Neu erstellte Beiträge unterliegen der Moderation und werden erst sichtbar, wenn sie durch einen Moderator geprüft und freigeschaltet wurden.

Die letzte Antwort auf dieses Thema liegt mehr als 365 Tage zurück. Das Thema ist womöglich bereits veraltet. Bitte erstellen Sie ggf. ein neues Thema.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O