Ftp access denied

• Hi,

I created several domains for several customers and also ftp users for those domains but somehow none of them are able to login except root user.

Is there any one who can tell me what exactly I need to do to solve this problem?

Thanx in advance

• Hi, I did restart proftp manually but nothing changed. In froxlor there is only one thing which is related with ftp and it is the creation of ftp user for the customer. There is nothing else about ftp in any part of it. I looked into all pages in froxlor and couldnt find out any other place.

It shows that I have 1 ftp users for that customer, but when I try to connect with winscp to that domain's ftp server it always pops up the password field and says access denied. I reseted the password hundred times but this also didnt work.

I m trying to find it out on net but I did not see any thing similar yet.

Thanx anyway. Hope I can find a solution.

• Hi,
    I ran the commandyou wrote and what I got as result is
    root

I assume that 10003 is the user that I created. but its name is not 10003 actually. Can that be the problem ? If so, how can I change these kind of username, group kind of things on command line?

Thanks in advence.

• you can change whole directory permissions by using chown and -R for recursive.

chown -R web1:web1 /path/to/the/directory

to change an username, you have to use
    usermod -l new-name old-name
    The name of the user will be changed from old-name to new-name. Nothing else is changed. (NOT RECOMMENDED)

• Hi,

I tried to change that 10003 number with the name of my user but it said there is not such user called 10003 . That can be the group name of that user ?

• RayMD: Froxlor legt keine Benutzer an, die verwendeten ids existieren nicht.

cantek: Maybe proftpd isn't configured correctly to use MySQL. You can check if there is a file "/etc/proftpd/sql.conf". This file should contain "SQLConnectInfo" with MySQL username and password to connect to the Froxlor-Database.
    If something looks to be wrong, log into Froxlor with admin-account, goto Server -> Configuration. Choose your distribution, then "FTP-Server" and "ProFTPd". On hitting "Next" you get to some instructions how to configure ProFTPd correctly (Froxlor doesn't do this automaticly, you have to follow the instructions).

• Hi,

I did that already this morning and there were no difference between the cırrent config fiels and the ones that froxlor suggested me to put in.
    Now I checked the users that I created from froxlor and I saw that they are not created ctually, So I created them from console and set their home directory as the customers directory. Now I can connect with that user info but this user can also go back to the root folder. Now the questions is how can I restrict this user within the home directory only?

Thanks in advence

• It isn't intended to create a user on the system. The FTP should only use the Virtual users from the mysql-table.

Have you replaced the placeholder "MYSQL_PASSWORD" in /etc/proftpd/sql.conf.

Please check /var/log/proftpd/proftpd.log and paste some lines of your tries (without the created unix-user).

• Hi,

I didnt replace anything in those conf files.

this are the lines from log

Jun 20 18:37:03 circass.com proftpd[30311] circass.com (125.121.212.54[125.121.212.54]): FTP session opened.
    Jun 20 18:37:04 circass.com proftpd[30311] circass.com (125.121.212.54[125.121.212.54]): USER watchmoviedb: no such user found from 125.121.212.54 [125.121.212.54] to 46.38.240.106:21
    Jun 20 18:37:04 circass.com proftpd[30311] circass.com (125.121.212.54[125.121.212.54]): FTP session closed.
    Jun 21 00:57:22 circass.com proftpd[10723] circass.com (200-98-146-241.clouduol.com.br[200.98.146.241]): FTP session opened.

The weird part is I didnt try to login with watchmoviedb names user at all.
    "USER watchmoviedb: no such user found from" the user name is cantek but the domain name is watchmoviedb.com