Rate my security

• Hello. I was the OP (and the victim by some malicious activity) at the topic here.

So, I wanted to harden my security so I won't have to suffer from something like that issue again. So, here. what I did so far:

• Changed the ssh port. I know this one does not have an effect that much, but I see a dramatic reduction of attacks at logs.
    • I still have password login with my ssh password, but now I am using 2FA with Google Authenticator.
    • Enabled ufw and left only SSH port open. Rest of the applications are being reached behind a reverse proxy.
    • There is absolutely zero port binding with the docker containers, as port bindings break port rules defined by ufw. All tunneling is working within a separate docker network.
    • All apps are behind an authentication process. Each apps have their own 'hard' type password which has symbols lower and upper cases numericals with at least 12 char long.
    • Only app that has a reach to docker management is Portainer.

What else I can do? Are those bullets enough for preventing the history to re-occur?

• Use SSH keys.
    • Segment your docker network. Containers that don't need to communicate should be unable to communicate.
    • Does your ufw filter outgoing connections? A rogue service should not be able to communicate with the internet.
    • Who builds your docker containers? Why do you trust them?
    • How will you recognize the next situation? What if you are on holiday?
    • Drop the character classes in your password policy (debunked years ago) and make them longer and random.
    • Use SSH keys.
    • Segment your docker network. Containers that don't need to communicate should be unable to communicate.
    • Does your ufw filter outgoing connections? A rogue service should not be able to communicate with the internet.
    • Who builds your docker containers? Why do you trust them?
    • How will you recognize the next situation? What if you are on holiday?
    • Drop the character classes in your password policy (debunked years ago) and make them longer and random.

• I know I should SSH keys, but wouldn't 2FA would provide sufficient security?
    • Yeah, I do segment my docker networks.
    • I was not aware of that outgoing filtering thing. Will certainly look into them.
    • I tend to use from 'Trusted Content' filter from docker hub.
    • Can you suggest an anomaly detection tool for servers?
    • It's my go-to policy :)

Thanks for the great hints!

• There are a lot of tools that can help you with

• keeping track of your logs (e.g., logcheck, tenshi)
    • running audits (e.g., chkrootkit, lynis)
    • hiding services you don't usually want to access outside a VPN anyway (e.g., knock)
    • checking whether your host might be the target of port scans (e.g., psad).

Depending on the OS/distribution, you might want to check whether live kernel updates are available (e.g., Ubuntu Livepatch Service).

VServer IOPS Comparison Sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w38zM0Bwbd4VdDCQoi1buo2I-zpwg8e0wVzFGSPh3iE/edit?usp=sharing

Gefällt mir 1
  • Neu erstellte Beiträge unterliegen der Moderation und werden erst sichtbar, wenn sie durch einen Moderator geprüft und freigeschaltet wurden.

Die letzte Antwort auf dieses Thema liegt mehr als 365 Tage zurück. Das Thema ist womöglich bereits veraltet. Bitte erstellen Sie ggf. ein neues Thema.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O