Power cycle and restart

• Hi,

My Server Control Panel says: New KVM Version available! Please power cycle this instance to activate new improvements.

Is it a safe operation I can make without data loss or other inconveniences?

Also, how can I restart my server? I remember that there was a restart button in the control section of my SCP, but now I cannot find it.

• Really?

Just look through the options in the SCP, I think under control there is ACPI Shutdown which will restart your server. All data in memory will be wiped, data on disks will survive.

After that you can press the start button in the SCP.

You could also shutdown your server from the system itself and only start in the SCP.

• And what would you suggest on the information in the Server Control Panel about the new KVM version available and the suggestion to do a power cycle to activate it? I would appreciate any advice on this matter since I have never encountered this message before. Is a power cycle a safe operation?

• Power cycle just means shutting the server down and starting it again. A reboot from within the VM is not sufficient.

Meine Minecraft-Plugins auf SpigotMC (Open Source): www.spigotmc.org/members/mfnalex.175238/#resources

Discord: discord.jeff-media.com

• And what would you suggest on the information in the Server Control Panel about the new KVM version available and the suggestion to do a power cycle to activate it? I would appreciate any advice on this matter since I have never encountered this message before. Is a power cycle a safe operation?

My best practice: If the operating system of the server tells me, that a reboot is required, i will log in into the SCP and use the option "Guaranteed Restart" (upper left, see screenshot). So the server will get a completel shut down (also for the bare metal hypervisor), maybe (if required) some KVM updates will be done and the server will boot again.

pasted-from-clipboard.png

I personally never had a problem while acting like that.

Normally (as of my experience) those updates aint a big deal, so they can also wait a few days or weeks. I do not restart the server only because of such a hint - i just do it, if it is also required by the operating system.

"Denn der radikalste Zweifel ist der Vater der Erkenntnis."

-Max Weber

• The english description of "Powercycle" is lacking here, it should say that if your server hasn't shut down within 5 minutes after receiving the ACPI signal, it will be forcefully reset. The german description says that.

In any case, when you see a notification for a new KVM version, you have to reboot the server from the SCP. When you reboot from within the VM, the host process will continue running and can't apply the update. That's why you can sometimes see a huge uptime in SCP even though you rebooted the server over SSH just recently.

friendly chat by and for customers:

irc.hackint.org:6697

#nc-kunden