I need more storage, how should I proceed ?

• Hello,

I currently have the VPS 4000 G10, with 960 GB SSD of storage.

But I need about 5-10TB of storage. Do you know how can I do without ruining myself ? Thank you.

• I think Netcup does not offer good solution for this problem.

But I think the Het*ner Storage Boxen are good option- you get 5TB for around 11€ (10 TB for 22€) and support for many different Protocols.

For example you can mount the box with Tools like Rclone

• For what purpose do you need the storage?

Is it cold storage for backups and scrap files or anything hot that needs to be fast, databases etc.?

For a database yes, in which there are things added to it every second

• For a database yes, in which there are things added to it every second

In that case you are better with a dedicated machine or a complete cloud solution.

Netcup doesn't focus on dedicated machines.

Depending on the database, you should take a look into sharding.

The best performance is offered by the RS product line at netcup - not the VPS.

• I would recommend using a cluster of servers for such a large database.

But we warned, running clusters is not that easy or cheap for production use cases.

You could also start to think about big data solutions in this context.

Or... You might be better off with reducing your data.

For my metrics, I usually keep only the data for the last 14 days.

Older data gets aggregated to average values. Like hourly values instead of every x seconds.

At the end, it depends on your use case, database type and data. Most times it is wise to use a specialized database for time series data instead of simply scaling up a relational database like MariaDB or MSSQL But talking about such big databases, I guess you already made this step.

• Hello,

I currently have the VPS 4000 G10, with 960 GB SSD of storage.

But I need about 5-10TB of storage. Do you know how can I do without ruining myself ? Thank you.

Maybe Backblaze/GDrive + Rclone/Stablebit Clouddrive could be an option for you.
    I have a GDrive Business Cloud (unlimited Storage) and my virtual drives are connected with Stablebit Clouddrive.

• Maybe Backblaze/GDrive + Rclone/Stablebit Clouddrive could be an option for you.
    I have a GDrive Business Cloud (unlimited Storage) and my virtual drives are connected with Stablebit Clouddrive.

U mad!?!?! =O He needs it for a database. Using your "solutions" might be fine for bigger files which are only stored and/or backup, cold storage more or less. But NOT for databases. I know all mentioned solutions by own experience btw, because I have used them or use them.

For a database yes, in which there are things added to it every second

RS Ostern L OST22 (~RS "3000" G9.5) (8C,24GB,960GB) | RS Cyber Quack (1C,2GB,40GB)

Gefällt mir 4
  • U mad!?!?! =O He needs it for a database. Using your "solutions" might be fine for bigger files which are only stored and/or backup, cold storage more or less. But NOT for databases. I know all mentioned solutions by own experience btw, because I have used them or use them.

Caching everything first offline and uploading/migrating at night works great for me - even with databases :)