Server Space Full, Can't Install new storagespace purchased

• Hi Guys, I need help installing my storagespace.

The problem is that my 40GB server memory is almost full and can't allow me to install the new storage space. I have installed a docker container in it and the whole memory is exhausted by the docker application. I don't want to remove the docker but I am thinking that I could manage to draw some memory from udev. I tried on GParted and could see 40GB on sda3 but it shows 38GB when i view it on CMD. I have read from some sources that there is a reserved space equal to half of the RAM in the memory which I feel is what is occupying part of the memory.

Please guys help me look through my memory to see where I could drag some space to allow me to mount the storage space

image1.PNG

When I try to install the command, I see the error that I do not have enough space in the archives folder

image2.PNG

Please I need help creating additional disk space on the var/cache/apt/archives.

I have done apt-get clean, apt-get autoclean and yet no additional space were recovered as there were no files removed from the folder.

image3.PNG

I need to get more space in the archives to be able to even run updates now.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

• Zur hilfreichsten Antwort springen
  • I have installed a docker container in it and the whole memory is exhausted by the docker application. I don't want to remove the docker

DId you allready tried to free some space occupied by docker?

(the overlay2 directory can grow enormously...)

• I have tried the command but was afraid if it would remove the main container if it has stopped due to the memory full. Please can you advise if it would not delete the main container?

Yes, the command would indeed remove any stopped container. Why would this be a problem? A docker container should never hold any persistent data itself, but rely on e.g. mounted volumes instead. Apart from that, tools like Docker Compose can be used to describe containers to allow creating and destroying them at any time.

Maybe try using the du command to find files/directories on your system that take a significant amount of disk space. E.g. you could try to remove some logs or cache files in order to free up at least some megabytes.

• we are first deleting the rotated and compressed OLD log files (*.gz) in /var/log only, not the sub-dirs of /var/log.

all currently used log files stay there.

»Hauptsache BogoMIPS!«

Fleischfresser

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Olivetti ()

• we are first deleting the rotated and compressed OLD log files (*.gz) in /var/log only, not the sub-dirs of /var/log.

all currently used log files stay there.

I have deleted all the gz files and the size of the var/log did not change after I did reboot the serverimage7.PNG

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gozzynes () aus folgendem Grund: btmp files are so large but not sure of what the contents are.

• Yes, the command would indeed remove any stopped container. Why would this be a problem? A docker container should never hold any persistent data itself, but rely on e.g. mounted volumes instead. Apart from that, tools like Docker Compose can be used to describe containers to allow creating and destroying them at any time.

Maybe try using the du command to find files/directories on your system that take a significant amount of disk space. E.g. you could try to remove some logs or cache files in order to free up at least some megabytes.

Thanks. I have removed the files in the logs. Reviewing the cache

Yes, the command would indeed remove any stopped container. Why would this be a problem? A docker container should never hold any persistent data itself, but rely on e.g. mounted volumes instead. Apart from that, tools like Docker Compose can be used to describe containers to allow creating and destroying them at any time.