Not enough space for updates

• Hi all,

I am from the UK and am new to NetCup. So far, the service is excellent but I am having trouble with Windows updates.

I installed Windows 10 Pro on a VPS 200 G8 package. This package only has 20GB SSD which is not large enough to install the Features update for Windows 10.

For the update to install, I need about 7GB of space but after installing the OS, there is not enough space left. There was no option to choose SSD or SAS when I ordered the package.

How do I install the Windows updates in this case please - anyone?

Many thanks.

• You can only choose between HDD and SSD when renting a Root-Server. The vServer (VPS XXX G8) series does only offer SSD space.

I‘m not a Windows expert, but there is a option to rent NFS based Storage Space. You can‘t combine those drives together, or?

Maybe you can ask the support if they give you for some kind of a fee some more GBs (for a certain timespan). Then you would only have to resize partitions.

BUT remember: YOU chose the 20 GB by yourself and that‘s what you get. There‘s nothing more you can insist on.

• Well... Delete something else or you don't

How about choosing another product with other specifications? This sounds like you think it's netcups fault...

Well... Delete something else or you don't

How about choosing another product with other specifications? This sounds like you think it's netcups fault...

Thanks Hecke29,

I'm not blaming netcup in any way. Just trying to fix a problem.

It looks like I need to contact support but thank you for your kind help.

• Thanks 03simon 10,

I am only experimenting with this package as I would like to offer Windows 10 as cheap as possible on my site.

If I need to order extra storage then it would increase the costs for the customer so it looks like I will need to order the 500 G8 package as the minimum for Windows 10 and use the 200 G8 package for Linux installations. Problem solved :)

Thank you for helping me with this.

• Maybe you could try to put your "non windows files" on a separate disk?

Take a look at https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/storagespace.php

Finally check out Treesize (https://www.jam-software.de/treesize_free/ ) to find "problematic" folders.
    This tool will show you the space usage in a tree structure.

But honestly... Even if you clean up the space and windows performes the update what about the next "big update"? You'll have the same problems again and again. I'd drop that VPS and get a new one with a bigger HDD.

Best regards

• There is no practical way of providing an acceptable Win10-Experience (including Semi-Annual WaaS Updates) on a 20GB Disk. Even the 40GB Disk of VPS 500 will be too small. There are plenty of advices here and otherwhere on the web how to "cleanup" Windows. But I would never ever start a new project based on these "cleanup-tricks". Calculate a 60GB Disk as minimum - otherwise you have to deal with Semi-Annual fresh reinstallations.

Other Question: You said "you like to provide Win10 as cheap as possible on your site". Seems you like to offer these Machines to others? How are you planning to license these Machines? AFAIK there is no Windows-Licensing offered by Netcup, and I cannot see how you can license a Win10-Machine running on a virtual Server-Infrastructure which is not under your control without breaking the Microsoft policies.

• Hi peng,

Your'e right, it's not possible to get Windows 10 onto a 20GB drive. Even the 40 GB drive is not big enough so I've decided to set up a dedi server for packages below 8GB. This way I can provide servers with enough resources for the OS.

Thanks a lot for your kind help.

• There is no practical way of providing an acceptable Win10-Experience (including Semi-Annual WaaS Updates) on a 20GB Disk. Even the 40GB Disk of VPS 500 will be too small. There are plenty of advices here and otherwhere on the web how to "cleanup" Windows. But I would never ever start a new project based on these "cleanup-tricks". Calculate a 60GB Disk as minimum - otherwise you have to deal with Semi-Annual fresh reinstallations.

Other Question: You said "you like to provide Win10 as cheap as possible on your site". Seems you like to offer these Machines to others? How are you planning to license these Machines? AFAIK there is no Windows-Licensing offered by Netcup, and I cannot see how you can license a Win10-Machine running on a virtual Server-Infrastructure which is not under your control without breaking the Microsoft policies.

Thanks,

Yes, it's not an option to install Windows 10 on 20GB or even 40GB, So a dedicated server will be needed to do the job.

I will only be supplying the free trial Microsoft operating systems which will need to be activated by the user when the free trial period expires. Are you saying that it is not possible to host Windows 10 machines on the netcup network because it is not possible for customers to license them using their own keys?

.. a great reply gunnarh

Thanks

• As far as I remember the Microsoft Licensing Terms you cannot "buy" a retail License for hosting a Win10-VM at an external Cloud/VM-Provider. You need a License including "VDA Rights" (Virtual Desktop Access).

More information you maybe find here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-u…nsing/virtualization.aspx

I think those VDA Rights are only available with Volume-License-Agreements, Software-Assurance and/or Enterprise Agreements.

If your question is, if it will work to use a regular Retail-Win10-Key to activate: I think it will technically work, but it's not legally licensed.

Second hint: the "free trial" is only a trial for SysAdmins and / or Personal-Use / Own-Use. AFAIK you are not allowed to run productive workload on these machines or provide these to your "clients/customers".