IP redirected to an unknown location!!!

• Hello,

Unfortunately I don't speak german yet, so I cannot dig into the forum for my question; apology if it is a duplicate question.

Since last Friday, from time to time, when I type in the ip address of my virtual server (the so called root-server) in any client (SSH such as Putty, a Browser, etc) it is directing to an unknow location. For example, the browser shows some basic Apach welcome message and the SSH client ask me to renew the key (and of course my user/pass does not work too).

I can however login using the VNC client but what I see in the VNC client is different from (for example) what is shown in the browser. This problem persists for a few hours and then all of a sudden everything goes back to normal.

I told myself that I have been hacked since I have little knowledge of linux. So I wiped the OS and reinstalled a new Debian (minimal). First, I changed the password, applied the updates and change the iptable as it is recommended. In 10 minutes, I had the same problem as I told you above. The SSH putty connection dropped, I cannot use it to login and the port 80 shows some Apache content other than what I have in my server.

What do I do wrong? Can you please help? When I googled, the description fits to IP hijacking but the support guys replied me that their system is fine and that I have to improve my linux knowledge :wacko: . Since I reinstalled the whole thing from scratch I am more suspicious of the underling network structure than the OS I have in my VS but perhaps I am missing something .... Here I am! asking for your kind replies and help. Could you please help?

Looking forward to hearing from you...

A desperate virtual server user! ;(

• Yes, connected to vm using ssh (putty) from an external network. I cannot understand where is the whole, at the client side or the server side. I wiped the server again and installed a new OS on one single partition. Now I can access the machine and typing the IP in the browser shows the right info. I am waiting to see if the same thing is going to happen again.

• Hi .A.,

In fact it was a similar problem as you mentioned ... after calling the support for a few times they admit that the problem is at their network switch (whatsoever) and now the server is accessible through the assigned IP address.

But, as you said, probably I have to change the setting from dhcp based configuration to the static one.

I tried the provided information in the Wiki and changed network/interfaces but had no luck with the configuration ... simply when I change the setting to static I cannot access the machine. Do you have any recommendation or source of information for me?

Thank you