Problem E: Couldn't find package linux-headers-2.6.33.2-vs2.3.0.36.30.4-netcup

• I think have problem in Linux vServer
    (most likely nobody created a linux-headers for that Linux-VServer kernel package)

and when i tried to install script i get
    E: Couldn't find package linux-headers-2.6.33.2-vs2.3.0.36.30.4-netcup

installing kernel headers for a 2.6.32/33 kernel should provide the required files..But as far as i learned i can't change or update kernel files for vServer. I wrote support mails however their answers quite far then to be good.

• i tried update kernel headers

Code
    [B]sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`[/B]

not works

Code
    sudo -s
    apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-`uname -r` /usr/src/linux
    cd /full/path/to/src/directory
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
  • Make sure you have updated version

$ sudo apt-get update
    Search for kernel version (optional)

$ apt-cache search linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    Install linux-header package

$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

also not works

• Zitat von ubuntu;26728

You can't install Kernel-Headers, because this is a netcup-own kernel, you can't find this in the Debian Repository.

Thanks however their kernel not work stable in vserver.. and vserver didnt find headers for installing some programs

• On my vServer, /usr/src/linux is a symlink to linux-headers-2.6.33.2-vs2.3.0.36.30.4-netcup as usual, but this directory does not exist. :o
    A lot of software need the kernels source for proper configuration. So please - netcup - provide it. Thank you!

Roman

vServer: Root-Server M, OS: Debian 8.2 Jessie

• Zitat von Roman;26781

On my vServer, /usr/src/linux is a symlink to linux-headers-2.6.33.2-vs2.3.0.36.30.4-netcup as usual, but this directory does not exist. :o
    A lot of software need the kernels source for proper configuration. So please - netcup - provide it. Thank you!

Roman

I wrote many times to Netcup but they didnt provide it..

• The problem is: You can't change or controll the kernel with Linux-VServer ;)
    You can't use e.g. iptables, because the kernel is shared for all users on a node.

Regards,
    Christian

"Wer nur noch Enten sieht, hat die Kontrolle über seine Server verloren." (Netzentenfund)

• My vServer here is running with 2.6.33.2-vs2.3.0.36.30.4-netcup and kernel-headers 2.6.30-r1. I customized my system completely and it runs without any problems.

masterofdeath, why do you want the same version of the kernel headers? In production use you only need a similar version for compiling kernel-near software. If you want to build modules, you generally need the complete kernel sources and .config of the running kernel.

Do you manage your vServer with Copy&Paste? So you won't be happy with your system.

Just use

Code
    apt-get install linux-headers

and it will work.

"Security is like an onion - the more you dig in the more you want to cry"