Beginner help wiith setup forWindow server 2019

• Hi everyone,

i am totally stuck and a newbie with setting up a root server to use as a window server. I have no idea how to set it up as there are limited resources for a easy step by step guide. Is there any experience user could provide a guide for me to follow. I purchase a root server package RS 8000 G9

• AMD EPYC™ 7702
    • 64 GB DDR4 RAM (ECC)
    • 10 dedicated cores

And in default it came with durian 10 installed. From there i do not what to do how do i get access to window server? Before i purchase vps server from other companies and all i needed to do was just input ip username/password on the remote access and the window server was already deploy with everything up and running.

If anyone could guide me with a source to set up i would be greatly appreciate. All these set up making me confused. I am very new to this but i would like to learn along the way too. Hopefully someone in goodness can guide me a step by step guide

• thanks i had a read on that, however, when it prompt to my server id details, it asked me to login on Debian , i dont know what i need to enter there as i only have the root password, what is my log in details? and another issue is when it ask me to put in password, it wont let me type. so i think if i get pass this, i would be able to have grant access to create a petition which then my problems should be solve.

anyone have any idea what i could do to find out the requirement above?

• Yes i checked my mail, i only received the scp login and then a server ready email with the info display like this below, i dont know on the log in what do i put? and also i tried to type in in the password section but it wont let me input any character or numbers, im not sure what i done wrong. the guide is helpful as i only need to pass this step and i should be good to go. any suggestion what i need to enter on the login detail and how to type in password?

Hostname: v2202011133xxxxxxx.goodsrv.d e

IP: 194.36.xxx.xxx

Root password: y8CZKsaxxxxxxxx

------------------------ ------ ---------------------

Installation information / data of automatically installed software:

---------------- -------------- ---------------------

############### ############### ############################# ##### ####

# debian 10 (buster) - minimal #

#####################################################################

system information

IP: 194.36.xxx.xxx

host: v2202011133xxxxxx.goodsrv.de

ssh-key fingerprints

(lots of keys)

• You don´t see if you typing a Password on the Login. Do you work anytime with a Linux System? If you need Windows, You need to reimage the System (or switch to a Managed Server). You need for Windows 2019 a own License.

• You don´t see if you typing a Password on the Login. Do you work anytime with a Linux System? If you need Windows, You need to reimage the System (or switch to a Managed Server). You need for Windows 2019 a own License.

Basically the rental of this server, i want to run window server 2019 so i can use a DE location, i tried to boot dvd cd rom and chosen window server 2019. but when i press install, it say it can not fold a petition drive. so i do not know where i should start. i thought buying the root server, and installation would be straight forward but it seems so advance. at the start of this, it just had a Debian 10 installed and nothing else i could do without the log in.

• For Debian: You have the Login Information. After the typing the User (root) you can type the Password. Here you don´t see any char on the Line (Linux don´t show any chars at Password Prompt when you type it, like the * on Windows).

If you try to install Windows you need Load the Driver for KVM. Just check the Howto/Wiki for this.

• it say it can not fold a petition drive.

You need to switch the DVD mid installation for the drivers. Then you can load the drives and reinsert the Windows Install DVD.

A portion of that can be found in my guide: https://steemit.com/linux/@uni…make-yourself-a-gaming-vm the section about VirtIO drivers.

Please keep in mind that you need advanced knowledge on securing Windows - otherwise it is a matter of hours until your server will be hacked and therefore closed by Netcup to protect it's customers. You are directly responsible for any attacks that will be launched from your server - especially financially responsible.

Since you have problems following simple guides, you shouldn't run a Windows server on the public internet without any firewall in between.

• i understand what you mean i should install window, loading through KvM but when i select the window virtio-win-0.1.185.iso on the dvd rom, it say no bootable drive. and i have no other options to sort this out, and when i select the window server 2019 from dvd rom. i get this error below. all i want to do is have a window server set up so i can use but it seems very advance and its beyond my knowledge. i dont want to waste this rental server as i paid monthly for it. i dont know what to do :(

• You need to switch the DVD mid installation for the drivers. Then you can load the drives and reinsert the Windows Install DVD.

A portion of that can be found in my guide: https://steemit.com/linux/@uni…make-yourself-a-gaming-vm the section about VirtIO drivers.

Please keep in mind that you need advanced knowledge on securing Windows - otherwise it is a matter of hours until your server will be hacked and therefore closed by Netcup to protect it's customers. You are directly responsible for any attacks that will be launched from your server - especially financially responsible.

Since you have problems following simple guides, you shouldn't run a Windows server on the public internet without any firewall in between.

thank you for your information, much appreciate your time writing a guide out for the community. yea its quite advance as its beyond my knowledge, as of before, i just purchased a vps window server and it was abit expensive, so therefore, i wanted to try out to do this root server myself. however it was too advance and i needed some help. the guide from the above member which i followed had some issue with the kvm installation. i try to overcome this now, running your guide might help to iron out some of the issue i am facing. but thank you for your care about the security measure as i understand it is very important to have this concern in mind.

• i understand what you mean i should install window, loading through KvM but when i select the window virtio-win-0.1.185.iso on the dvd rom, it say no bootable drive. and i have no other options to sort this out, and when i select the window server 2019 from dvd rom. i get this error below. all i want to do is have a window server set up so i can use but it seems very advance and its beyond my knowledge. i dont want to waste this rental server as i paid monthly for it. i dont know what to do

You need to click on browse and navigate to the appropriate driver for your windows version.

Best guess: Windows 2k19, amd64 on the vioscsi directory.

and it was abit expensive

Usually those include a license for your windows server, which could be a couple hundred euro when you purchase them on your own.
    Netcup Server don't come with any Windows license, so the money you save on the cheaper VPS you'll spend on a Windows Server License anyway.

And also you don't have the trouble of installing windows on your own.

• thank you for your information, much appreciate your time writing a guide out for the community. yea its quite advance as its beyond my knowledge, as of before, i just purchased a vps window server and it was abit expensive, so therefore, i wanted to try out to do this root server myself. however it was too advance and i needed some help. the guide from the above member which i followed had some issue with the kvm installation. i try to overcome this now, running your guide might help to iron out some of the issue i am facing. but thank you for your care about the security measure as i understand it is very important to have this concern in mind.

Don't misunderstand me. We all started small ;) - but are you sure you want to do this on your own? As mentioned by others it is not totally easy to really secure a windows server. It's not only making a few updates from time to time. Your system has a public IP and is attacked a lot. You will see thousands of attacks per hour. And after some time they will brute force your RDP-Login (if you use RDP).

You have not rent a real "root" Server but a virtual Server with dedicated ressources. Therefore you should look at the web for informations on "how to install on a KVM system". I will not go in this any further - if you want to host a system in a environment like this it should be either doable for you or you should perhaps reconsider and go for a managed system or even a full managed offer.

This is really dangerous ;-).